Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday, January 16th, 2012

Today we honor a great man. A true man of peace, Martin Luther King Jr. was one of the best known advocates of non-violent social strategies. He's best known for his 1963 deliverance of the famous "I Have a Dream" speech. Unfortunately, we lost him only three years later on April 4th, 1968.

Martin Luther King Jr. was originally named after his father, Michael King until the family's visit to Germany. His father soon changed both of their named in honor of Martin Luther, the founder of Lutheranism

250,00 people of every ethnicity attended his "I Have a Dream," speech. His speech is regarded as one of the finest given along with The Gettysburg Address and FDR's Infamy speech.


In a sense we have come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men would be guaranteed the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

I wish I had been present to hear Dr. King speak...to this day, this speech still makes me shed a few tears! I also wish that people...citizens...in this country were granted their basic rights even till this day. It saddens me that people are still stripped of them, regardless of being in the year 2012.

Funny fact...He was interviewed by Playboy!


So, I guess I should get on to the rest of my mail, huh?

What a lovely package from Hannah! Such cute erasers!


I was so glad to hear from my dear Maria in Moscow! She is always so sweet! She sent my letter in a first day cover envelope!



A Russian banknote for my collection and some adorable postcards!


Elyse in Sweden always decorates her letters so nicely! It's the perfect amount of stickers...not to many, not too few!


Rin from Papered Thoughts sent me a great reply letter on adorable Korean stationary! Gotta love her fabulous address label! And check out the cute koala stamp! I had to resist asking her, "Have you ever met a koala in person?" She's going to get a longer letter in reply!



Check out the little package of goodies she sent along with photos! I hope she likes what I'm sending back!



I always look forward to Eveline's letters! She asked about "Ghost Adventures", which is a paranormal show that I tend to watch...It only seems to be on at night, so i always end up sleeping with the lights on! But I love it! In my letter, I explained my paranormal beliefs...



Arwen always makes me feel like a better person than I am. She understands my disorders so great and I can always count on her support!



And last but not least, Ana from Russia sent me some fantabulous goodies! It was so worth the drive to the post office to pick up! And while I was there, I purchased a sheet of stamps...the first new postage stamp design of 2012!





Coins for my ever-growing currency collection!


I also received a travelling journal in which I'll be showing and writing about my house!



Just for fun, here's my casa!


I also included a few other photos...my room, car, and family!


Is it ironic that this photo was taken in front of my post office? haha!



And last but not least...my outgoing!



WOW, once again, another novel length post! But that's the last of the vacation mail! Keep an eye out for another giveaway this week. :)

3 comments:

cutefairydreams ♥ said...

Hi Girl. I had so much fun reading this post. You got awesome goodies from your friends. I sent an email to you for letting you know that tomorrow I'm finally going to send the etsy goodies. Please check your email for more information :)

Minx's Den said...

WOW! that's alot of mail! I usually only get a few things a week, and it's only what I order for my shop! btw, posted a butt load of new things on there! you should check em out, see which ones you like the best!

-Lauren
minxdenpartdeux :)

Anna said...

Oh my gosh! So much mail! The erasers are so cut.

Post a Comment